Monday, February 5, 2018

The trailer for Solo is officially a blast. Naysayers beware, I seriously do not care about your opinion. I'm excited and I plan to stay excited.



But it wouldn't be Deeply Obsessed without poking at the details...

They changed the Falcon, like I previously posted, and I'm actually fine with the changes. It looks good in action and it pays beautiful homage to Ralph McQuarrie's concept painting for our favoirte pirate ship... But I just saw the underside of the Falcon in Solo and... so... Ok, here's the thing. in 1977, the millennium falcon had three landing gear, two in the back and one in the front. And then in Empire two more were added in the front along with some huge boxes set into the saucer. The story goes they were added for stability when the 86-foot freestanding prop was built for the rebel base. And I'm totally fine with the in-universe idea that Han modified the ship between the two stories and added more landing gear... BUT... the version in the Solo movie has 5 landing gear and the extra boxes. You're telling me Han got the ship before A New Hope, knocked off two landing gear... and put them back on in Empire? what? Haha, as I'm writing this I can hear how petty and niggling my gripe is. but come on!

So my going theory is that they're using the same full-size prop on Solo that they used on Force Awakens and Last Jedi, which has 5 landing gear, and they've just set dressed it to look like the new 'old' falcon. Rather than spending money to take off landing gear, either on the prop or in post, the production department said "no one really cares, right? hmm, but I do have this weird feeling... a disturbance in the force... and a name coming out of the void... the name Stinson? and he's PISSED... but I have no clue who that is... anyway, like I said, who cares?"

heh, anyway... before the trailer came out, I had wondered if there were going to be 3 or 5 landing gear, and I joked that I was gonna walk if I found out there were 5. Well, I found out, and guess what? I'm still excited as @#%!! to see this movie. Come on May.


here's a render I made last year, supposing that the production department was gonna troll us Falcon aficionados and add not just 2 extra landing gear, but 20...


it could always be worse!

3 comments:

  1. Hahah, amazing. I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm saddened by what looks like poor continuity diligence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete